Storm Damage Cleanup Made Easier
It’s hurricane season once again! This season always comes with storms and flash floods that can destroy massive amounts of property, both outside and inside homes.
If your home has ever flooded, then you understand how stressful and challenging the cleanup process can be. From ruined electronics to soaked carpets, water damage is a headache to homeowners.
If you want to take on smaller and safer tasks before help arrives, make sure that you are protected. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends that you wear boots, long pants, a long shirt, gloves, and an N-95 respirator to protect against mold spores.
Unfortunately, the flooding experienced from a storm is a far too serious matter to handle alone.
Here’s Why Storm Damage Cleanup is Not for Everyone
Flood waters can destroy your home in the following ways:
- HVAC: When water enters the internal components of air conditioners and heaters, it damages its electrical systems. The venting system can also be contaminated by mold, and it may require professional cleaning to prevent mold spores from being blown through the air.
- Home Appliances: Flood waters can short out these appliances and make them leak harmful gases into the air. They need to be repaired and cleaned by a professional before use.
- Electrical Wiring and Pipes: Storms can strip electrical wiring and break water pipes. Work with a contractor if you notice these damages. For safety purposes, do not try to repair the problem yourself.
- Painted Concrete: Concrete walls flake when exposed to excess moisture and may require repainting. Concrete floors, on the other hand, are quite absorbent and will develop whitish deposits when exposed to moisture. Restorers should use HEPA vacuuming and EPA-registered disinfectants to get rid of these deposits.
- Floor Coverings: Most carpets are usually thrown out after they are damaged by standing water. However, a professional cleaner is able to restore your valuable carpets. Just remember to remove the soaked carpets from the flooded house as soon as possible to minimize the damage.
- Furniture and Other Wooden Items: Solid wood items may weaken, warp, and crack following a flood. Fortunately, they can be saved when dried properly.
- Insulation: Insulation foam sheets that have been affected by flood water need to be hosed off and dried. However, cellulose insulation made of treated paper needs to be replaced and removed.
- Plaster: Even though this thick material may not be replaced, it may take a really long time to dry. Professional storm damage cleanup companies have the necessary equipment to dry plaster quickly and more efficiently.
- Drywall and Wallboard: These are porous materials that become very fragile when wet. If they are not dried out properly, they can get contaminated.
Hiring a Storm Damage Cleanup Professional
Cleaning up after a storm is a dangerous task, and should largely be left to professionals.
SERVPRO may be in a position to help you during this difficult time. We are a locally-based storm damage cleanup company in Murfreesboro of Rutherford County. Our highly skilled experts have access to industry-leading equipment to quickly reverse the effects of water damage.
Restoration is better and far less expensive than replacement.
Before the cleanup process begins, the experts will examine the extent of the damage outside and inside your home. The results will be discussed with you and your insurer.
The type of damage present will determine the types of restoration equipment and tools needed. In the case of flooding, specialized vacuums and pumps will be used to remove water from the affected areas.
When drying your house, there are four main considerations that come to play – temperature, humidity, air movement, and the amount of water present. Drying occurs faster under low humidity levels and high temperatures.
Moreover, the damp air in the water-damaged rooms should be replaced by dry air to hasten the drying. Commercial air movers and dehumidifiers can facilitate the drying process and prevent the growth of mold and mildew on surfaces.
Our specialists will also use customized cleaners to disinfect the surfaces as well as restore salvageable items. Minor house repairs will be done and air fresheners will be used to combat the damp odor of a flooded home. Your house will be restored to its pre-storm state in no time!
SERVPRO is Available 24/7 for Professional Storm Damage Cleanup Services
Natural disasters like storms come without warning and they can flood and damage your property. But if you act fast, SERVPRO of Rutherford County can restore your home. Call us today!