Mold Damage? Your Questions Answered.
Have you had a damaging water event that affected your home? Is there an area in your home that stays damp due to a slow leak or condensation? Do you have a suspicious smell in the area where your home got wet? If you have had water damage that wasn’t remediated by professionals (or the source was not identified), it’s likely that you also have mold damage in your home.
If water has flooded in to your home, whether through broken pipes, slow leaks, appliance failure, roof leaks, or flood waters from a storm, mold can begin to grow in as little as 48 hours.
What exactly is mold, and what should you do if you find you have mold damage? We have answers for you. Read on to learn more.
Understanding What Mold Is and Why It is Problematic
- Molds are a type of fungus that are found pretty much everywhere. It’s actually unknown how many types of mold species exist, but experts estimate between tens of thousands to more than three hundred thousand. Some of the most common molds that are found indoors are cladosporium, penicillium, alternaria, and aspergillus.
- Mold spores are the fungus’ way of reproducing. These are microscopic particles, and float through the air, much like pollen, and are extremely hardy; they can withstand extreme drought and cold. Mold spores find their way in to your home through open windows or doors, heating or air conditioning systems, and even on your clothing, shoes, or pets.
- While mold spores can float around in practically any conditions, mold thrives in moist environments, and will reproduce rapidly when wet. It grows especially quickly when wet and warm conditions are present.
- Mold gives off a strong, telltale odor that can smell different from person to person and from one mold species to another. The odor could generally be described as “musty” “old” “like dirt” or “like rot.”
- Indoor humidity levels that are consistently above 50% can support mold growth. Try to keep indoor humidity at about 45% for your comfort and inhibiting mold growth.
- Be aware that before any mold remediation can take place, the source of the moisture needs to be identified and addressed, or the mold may return.
A Note About Black Mold
A specific species of mold has made the news often termed “toxic mold” or “black mold” scientifically known as stachybotrys chartarum. These news reports can be distressing and sometimes confusing. The fact of the matter is that ALL mold should be treated with caution and care, regardless of the type of color. The best thing to do is stay out of the space and call the professionals.
Mold Damage - Do’s and Don’ts
Mold can quickly cause significant damage to your home. SERVPRO of Rutherford County has specialized training and equipment to handle mold problems, but until a specialist arrives, some safety precautions should be taken:
- DO stay out of any mold affected areas of your home. It is especially important to keep children and the elderly away. In fact it may be necessary to temporarily relocate until remediation is complete.
- DO turn off any fans and air conditioning/heating systems - cycling the air through the whole home can carry mold spores to new places.
- DO call SERVPRO of Rutherford County as soon as you notice a problem.
- DON’T touch the mold affected items or move any furniture/items in the area of the mold.
- DON’T attempt to dry out a mold affected area yourself.
- DON’T attempt to clean the mold yourself, do not spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
If you suspect you have a mold problem in your property, contact SERVPRO of Rutherford County, your local fire, water, and mold cleanup and restoration experts.