Recent Storm Damage Posts
Quick Commercial Storm Damage Cleanup
Just like any other building, commercial buildings are subject to the costly damages of Mother Nature’s wrath. Depending on your location and the season, losses can be caused by blizzards, hurricanes, earthquakes, and tornadoes. But one of the most common weather disasters is storms.
You can predict the storm, but cannot predict the extent of damage it will have on your commercial building. Flooding is often the biggest concern in this regard.
According to National Geographic, flooding accounts for more than $6 billion in damages every year. While typical floods may happen over days, flash floods can destroy properties in minutes.
The serious structural and cosmetic damage of your commercial building is more than just a headache to business owners – it’s a source of huge financial loss and an interruption to the normal operations of your business.
After a storm, you may want to replace everything and start from scratch. But this is not the best option as it is way too expensive, especially at such a time. Instead, you can try restoration.
Get the Right Commercial Storm Cleanup Services
A professional restoration company is able to handle all of your commercial damage cleanup and repairs. And since there is never a convenient time for flooding and storm damage, get a company that is available 24/7. Keep in mind that every hour wasted is an hour of lost productivity and revenue.
SERVPRO has the experience, training, and equipment to handle small and large commercial storm damage emergencies. Our technicians respond quickly to clean the mess and manage the restoration project from start to finish.
6 Main Stages of Our Commercial Storm Cleanup Services
This brief overview explains how SERVPRO experts may approach to resolve the storm damage at your commercial building:
- Examine the Damage: The restoration specialists will assess the extent of the damage and discuss the results with you and your insurer.
- Prevent Secondary Damage: This step involves boarding and tarp up services which prevent secondary water damages.
- Remove the Standing Water: With industry-leading vacuums and pumps, our restorers will be able to completely remove the water from the affected areas.
- Remove Damaged Building Materials: Damaged materials should be carefully removed and properly disposed of prior to the cleaning process.
- Clean and Disinfect the Surfaces: Our technicians will use customized cleaners to disinfect the affected surfaces as well as restore salvageable items.
- Dry the Building: Commercial air movers and dehumidifiers will facilitate the drying process and prevent the growth of mold and mildew on surfaces. Building materials are replaced after the affected areas are completely dry.
- Repaint and Add Final Touches: When walls are exposed to excess moisture for a few hours, they absorb water, and this may cause the paint to flake. When the walls are completely dry, our experts will repaint them for a dazzling finish.
What Next After the Commercial Storm Damage Cleanup?
As a property manager, a disaster preparedness plan will go a long way toward addressing your flooding concerns. You cannot stop the storm, but you can take the necessary actions to keep your building from another water-related disaster.
After the cleanup, consider the following preventive measures:
Flood-Proof Your Building
If flooding has been a problem in the past, consider flood-proofing your commercial building. This will prevent water-related damages in the future. One of the best practices is covering your building with a waterproof coating to keep water from seeping in.
Improve Your Landscaping
If possible, try to elevate the area around your commercial building before the rains begin. You can also build a system that will allow water to flow away from the building. Don’t forget to install downspouts to direct water away from the foundation.
The cost of this project will depend on the size of your building. Nonetheless, this cost will be far less expensive than the cost of repairing the damage.
Pay Special Attention to Basements
After a storm, the basement and foundation of your building may face serious damage.
It’s recommended to contact a specialist who will patch the foundation walls and caulk huge cracks. Moreover, you should consider installing a sump pump and dehumidifiers to keep the building dry always.
SERVPRO Will Be With You All Through the Commercial Storm Damage Cleanup
In the unfortunate event your commercial building is damaged by a storm, then do not hesitate to call SERVPRO in Smyrna, Rutherford County, for help. We will not only restore your property, but we will also help you review and make recommendations to safeguard your building from future storm damage.
Storm Damage Cleanup Made Easier
It’s hurricane season once again! This season always comes with storms and flash floods that can destroy massive amounts of property, both outside and inside homes.
If your home has ever flooded, then you understand how stressful and challenging the cleanup process can be. From ruined electronics to soaked carpets, water damage is a headache to homeowners.
If you want to take on smaller and safer tasks before help arrives, make sure that you are protected. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends that you wear boots, long pants, a long shirt, gloves, and an N-95 respirator to protect against mold spores.
Unfortunately, the flooding experienced from a storm is a far too serious matter to handle alone.
Here’s Why Storm Damage Cleanup is Not for Everyone
Flood waters can destroy your home in the following ways:
- HVAC: When water enters the internal components of air conditioners and heaters, it damages its electrical systems. The venting system can also be contaminated by mold, and it may require professional cleaning to prevent mold spores from being blown through the air.
- Home Appliances: Flood waters can short out these appliances and make them leak harmful gases into the air. They need to be repaired and cleaned by a professional before use.
- Electrical Wiring and Pipes: Storms can strip electrical wiring and break water pipes. Work with a contractor if you notice these damages. For safety purposes, do not try to repair the problem yourself.
- Painted Concrete: Concrete walls flake when exposed to excess moisture and may require repainting. Concrete floors, on the other hand, are quite absorbent and will develop whitish deposits when exposed to moisture. Restorers should use HEPA vacuuming and EPA-registered disinfectants to get rid of these deposits.
- Floor Coverings: Most carpets are usually thrown out after they are damaged by standing water. However, a professional cleaner is able to restore your valuable carpets. Just remember to remove the soaked carpets from the flooded house as soon as possible to minimize the damage.
- Furniture and Other Wooden Items: Solid wood items may weaken, warp, and crack following a flood. Fortunately, they can be saved when dried properly.
- Insulation: Insulation foam sheets that have been affected by flood water need to be hosed off and dried. However, cellulose insulation made of treated paper needs to be replaced and removed.
- Plaster: Even though this thick material may not be replaced, it may take a really long time to dry. Professional storm damage cleanup companies have the necessary equipment to dry plaster quickly and more efficiently.
- Drywall and Wallboard: These are porous materials that become very fragile when wet. If they are not dried out properly, they can get contaminated.
Hiring a Storm Damage Cleanup Professional
Cleaning up after a storm is a dangerous task, and should largely be left to professionals.
SERVPRO may be in a position to help you during this difficult time. We are a locally-based storm damage cleanup company in Murfreesboro of Rutherford County. Our highly skilled experts have access to industry-leading equipment to quickly reverse the effects of water damage.
Restoration is better and far less expensive than replacement.
Before the cleanup process begins, the experts will examine the extent of the damage outside and inside your home. The results will be discussed with you and your insurer.
The type of damage present will determine the types of restoration equipment and tools needed. In the case of flooding, specialized vacuums and pumps will be used to remove water from the affected areas.
When drying your house, there are four main considerations that come to play – temperature, humidity, air movement, and the amount of water present. Drying occurs faster under low humidity levels and high temperatures.
Moreover, the damp air in the water-damaged rooms should be replaced by dry air to hasten the drying. Commercial air movers and dehumidifiers can facilitate the drying process and prevent the growth of mold and mildew on surfaces.
Our specialists will also use customized cleaners to disinfect the surfaces as well as restore salvageable items. Minor house repairs will be done and air fresheners will be used to combat the damp odor of a flooded home. Your house will be restored to its pre-storm state in no time!
SERVPRO is Available 24/7 for Professional Storm Damage Cleanup Services
Natural disasters like storms come without warning and they can flood and damage your property. But if you act fast, SERVPRO of Rutherford County can restore your home. Call us today!
How Storms Can Damage the Roof of Your Business or Home
Check your roof for damage after major storms!
The roof of your home or business is important. A well-maintained roof promotes energy efficiency and protects the building from the elements. When the roof withstands damage, the integrity of the building is affected. If a storm damages your roof, SERVPRO of Rutherford County is the company to call for cleanup and restoration.
Surveying Your Roof After a Major Storm
Commercial and residential property owners should have their roof inspected after major storms. High winds as well as heavy rains and hailstones can damage a roof in many ways. They can cause shingles to blow off individually or in full patches. Tree limbs can fall onto the roof to leave a hole in the structure. We do not advise you to climb onto the top of the building on your own because of the high elevation and steep incline of most roofs. If you believe that your property has been damaged by a storm, you should contact a professional for an assessment.
What We Can Do to Recover and Restore Your Property
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility ensures we are always up to date on the best techniques to get your home or business back in shape after a storm. Regular IICRC industry certifications, means we have the knowledge as well as the equipment to restore your property. We clean the damage the storm left behind, and this includes on the interior or exterior of your building.
Severe weather is unfortunately common in the Middle Tennessee area, and it can cause significant damage in a very short period of time. SERVPRO of Rutherford County is available to respond to requests immediately after a major storm. We can begin the restoration and cleanup process quickly so that you can more easily move past the current issue and protect your property.